Jim retired for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources in 1997, beginning his lifelong career with DNR on November 10, 1958
as a Forest Ranger Dispatcher stationed in Antigo. In May of 1960 he was drafted into the Army of the United States and spent
27 months, most of them as a "Chair Borne Ranger" in the Defense Atomic Support Agency, deep within one of the five rings of the Pentagon.
Upon his return, he resumed his duties at Antigo. Through the years Jim was also stationed at the ranger stations in Bowler, Spooner and Hayward.
In 1975, he was promoted to District Fire and Recreation Staff Specialist, stationed in Rhinelander. October of 1978 found him on special
assignment with the USDA Forest Service State and Private Forestry program in Broomall, PA where he served a two year Inter Governmental Agreement
or IPA assignment in Railroad Fire Prevention for the 20 Northeastern States. In October of 1980 he came back to the NCD as the Fire Prevention
In 1991, Jim took a lateral transfer to the Madison office as the Forest Fire Prevention and Forestry Law Enforcement Staff
Specialist as well as the Locomotive Inspector a position he held until he retired on February 28, 1997.
Jim and his wife Jan have lived in Stoughton since August of 1991. Their oldest daughter, Candy, grandson Parker live on a hilltop between Clayton and Turtle Lake.
Their other daughter, Kerry, lives in Rothschild.